Not everyone needs a doula or wants a doula, but people choose to have doulas for different reasons. You might choose to have a doula to be an extra set of hands around the house during a home birth. Or you might choose to have a doula to be your primary source of emotional and physical support during labour and birth, whether you have a partner to support you as well or not. You might choose to have a doula to have the extra knowledge and experience of someone who has gone through it all before. Or you might choose a doula to be a consistent supportive figure when you don’t know which midwife is going to be attending your birth.
Research has shown that having a doula:
- Shortens first-time labour by an average of 2 hours
- Decreases the chance of caesarean section by 50%
- Decreases the need for pain medication
- Helps fathers participate with confidence
- Increases success in breastfeeding
Findings from Mothering the Mother
Klaus, Kennell & Klaus, 1993
Not sure if you want a doula? Feel free to contact me to discuss any questions or concerns that you have.